Yesterday was the first day of Camp Mommy. What is Camp Mommy you may ask? Well, my husband seemed to think that it was going to be similar to boot camp! But, nope. It’s just days filled with me and my girl. I’m not sure that choosing the Camp Mommy option will be the best, but we’re trying it this way for a few reasons.
- Em has had a long school year and needed some time to just chill.
- Em HATES – I mean hates mornings! (I don’t love them either!) A typical camp day starts in the morning like a school day, which means I’d have to wake her and then wait for the storms to hit. Yelling and fighting about getting out of bed, brushing teeth, brushing hair, eating breakfast. The thought of those fights that I had the past 180 school days just made me cringe. Since she’s been out of school, she’s been sleeping in til 8:30 and waking up full of smiles!
- Structure and Schedules are great – even for me. But, at Camp Mommy, Em gets to have more say in our schedule. Now, I’m not saying she gets to do whatever she wants and is the boss of summer – she’s not even close to that! But, she is always being forced into the schedules that the world makes for her, so why not let her summer be more at her own pace?! She’s lucky enough that I’m home and don’t have to rush, rush, rush anymore.
- Relax, recharge, breathe. The hustle and bustle of the school year was especially hard for her this year (and me too). My post here explains a little about this. I’m hoping Camp Mommy gives us both time to relax, recharge, and just breathe in everything around us.
- My one main reason for Camp Mommy is that I want to have time to enjoy my Em and fill our days with happiness. Those battles all school year were hard on us all – just exhausting. It became harder and harder to find the good and focus on the positives. The goals of Camp Mommy are to be present, to laugh, to smile, and to find the joy in each other, every day.
Em said Day 1 was the best day ever and was full of smiles and hugs. Today, we’re taking our first “Field Trip” to the zoo. It’s going to be another great day – I can just feel it! If you have any suggestions on other things that will make Camp Mommy a success, please comment below!
Thank you to the team of writers at Two Writing Teachers for this wonderful writing community. A place for us to grow together as writers. Join us for SOL Tuesdays!